From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Pioneers of the
|Neil Strauss (Style)|
Eben W. Pagan, born December 5, 1971, better known by his stage name David DeAngelo, is an American entrepreneur, author and dating consultant. He is a member of the Seduction community and founder of "Double Your Dating", a company providing dating advice to men and marketed primarily over the Internet.
|This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding reliable references (ideally, using inline citations). Unsourced or poorly sourced contentious material must be removed immediately, especially if potentially libelous or harmful. Find sources: "David DeAngelo" — news, books, scholar (December 2008)|
Early in his career, DeAngelo moved from the Pacific Northwest to continue his career as a real estate and mortgage broker in San Diego, but first found real success in training real estate professionals how to use direct marketing to build sales leads. While building this business, DeAngelo set out to build his skills at meeting women through a number of avenues, including seeking the counsel of "naturals" (men who are naturally good with women) and students of women such as Hypnotica (Eric Von Sydow) Steve Piccus, Dave Riker, Rick H, and as a protégé of Ross Jeffries. During this period, DeAngelo went by the on-line nickname "Sisonpyh" (hypnosis spelled backwards, invoking the Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) emphasis of Jeffries' teachings), and the offline handle "Brother Eben". For reasons which are in dispute, DeAngelo eventually disassociated himself from Jeffries and his teachings, and on December 17, 2000 propounded his own schema in a seminal post on "Cliff's List," an internet dating newsletter.
Finally switching to the handle "David DeAngelo" in 2001, he released an updated, expanded, and somewhat more politically-correct version of the post as the ebook Double Your Dating, at the time the sole product of the eponymous company he ran by himself from the bedroom of his oceanside apartment in San Diego. Since then, DeAngelo has released many products aimed at helping men with dating, with titles such as the Advanced Dating series, 77 Laws of Success With Women and Dating, Deep Inner Game, and Meeting Women Online. DeAngelo claimed in July 2007 that he employs two hundred people, all working remotely, and that his various product lines (Double Your Dating, Catch Him & Keep Him, GetAltitude, Fire Your Wedding Planner, and others) now gross close to 20 million annually in sales.
DeAngelo runs an e-mail newsletter which is distributed to over 1 million subscribers.
DeAngelo argues that much human social behavior is related in some way to sexual reproduction, and that human mating habits do not differ significantly from other species.
He suggests that societal conditioning has programmed many modern men to develop involuntary habits that increase the failure rate of consistently attracting women or negate the attractive qualities that were designed to make women want them. "Pickup lines cause you to lose before you even begin" since they "don't usually elicit positive and rewardful responses; instead they breed negative reactions."
DeAngelo states in one of his advanced dating technique seminars that people can use his techniques to achieve a variety of goals, whether that goal is to have casual sex or to form more lasting relationships. David DeAngelo, as a member of the Seduction Community as a whole, often comes under fire by women and men who advocate "just being yourself", but is just as strongly defended by his proponents who argue that these opinions are based on ignorance of his actual material.
One of his beliefs is that being intellectual doesn't automatically equal success with women, but that such success can be acquired.
 Advice on attraction
DeAngelo contends most men lack a deep understanding of women, and are thus at a loss to attract the ones they desire. As a result, men are forced to accept whomever selects them.
DeAngelo also believes that women are not as obsessed with the appearance of prospective mates as males are. Further, he contends that typical male courting gambits such as excessive flattery and gifting are seen by women as manipulative and insecure, and are thus ultimately unattractive. Instead, he contends that "attraction isn't a choice" -- women cannot be bribed into choosing to feel attraction. Rather, DeAngelo asserts that a woman will feel attraction automatically when she perceives a man to have certain characteristics such as confidence, lightheartedness, humor and independence, qualities he labels "cocky and funny" or "cocky funny."
Thus, while a typical man might hope to appeal to a desirable woman with obsequiousness and unbridled enthusiasm, carefully hiding any reservations he might have about her, a "cocky and funny" one would actually make his reservations abundantly clear from the outset, albeit flirtatiously and with humor.
 Used terms
- The Inner Wuss: a character trait of men developed through time that causes them to become submissive around women in order to get their approval. DeAngelo claims that women prefer men who are of higher status than they. (see also Nice guy).
- Cocky and funny: also known as 'cocky comedy' can be called flirting, this refers to combination of arrogance and humor. A humorous mock arrogance intended to communicate with intelligence and being 'a challenge'. DeAngelo points out that it is important to get the balance right, as just using 'cocky' "comes across as insecure, and comedy alone usually comes across as goofy and dumb." "Cocky and Funny" is often abbreviated as "C&F."
- Counterintuitive behavior: DeAngelo's description of some of his techniques to attract women, as they are the opposite of what most people think is attractive. Examples of such behavior include teasing a woman offhandedly and refusing to compliment her appearance. Can also be phrased as Don't behave in a boring or predictable way.
- Life changes: DeAngelo reiterates that the purpose of his programs is to effect a complete personality and lifestyle change among men that will help them achieve dating success.
- Emulate the Successful: DeAngelo encourages the following and emulation of those successful with women. He records interviews with those very successful in dating and releases them monthly as part of a subscription service.
- Sexual Communication: DeAngelo's principle of a 'secret mating language' or 'secret mating dance' that takes place between a man and a woman before they can mate.
- Reframing: Restructuring one's own beliefs set into a new one, such as changing self-doubt to positive thinking.
 Double Your Dating
Double Your Dating is a series of tutorials primarily advertised and sold through the internet.
The foundation for the Double Your Dating series is an ebook which claims to help men "demystify" much of what goes into attraction. It has won numerous online awards such as Seduction Book of the year 2008. Following the ebook, DeAngelo created further materials in the series, including a second ebook, as well as several ebooklets, seminars on DVDs and CDs covering various topics (notably the Advanced and Mastery series, as well as Meeting Women Online, Deep Inner Game, Power Sexuality, On Being a Man, Cocky Comedy and Body Language and several others), and the monthly Interviews with Dating Gurus CD subscription. Many of the guests that appear in his interview series also appear in his seminars and programs.
It should be noted that DeAngelo has acknowledged that his work is a collection of suggestions and ideas and not to be taken as dogma. As evidenced in his Sexual Communication series, DeAngelo encourages students to evaluate his material "with your own minds."
- ^ Who Is David Deangelo?
- ^ Seduction Guru Interviews
- ^ American Chronicle
- ^ http://www.sidneyrezende.com/noticia/13720
- ^ A letter published on Cliff's List where DeAngelo uses both nicknames
- ^ Cliff's List. DeAngelo's December 17, 2000 post can be found here.
- ^ GetAltitude business site
- ^ Neil Strauss (2005) The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists. New York, NY: HarperCollins. ISBN 0-06-055473-8
- ^ Ratliff, Ronnie. (December 30, 2001) The Daytona Beach News-Journal Haven't I seen you before? Section: News-Journal SECTION C; Page 03C.
- ^ De Brito, Sam. (January 2, 2005) Sunday Telegraph (Australia). Men can become simply irresistible. Section: Features; Page 124.
- ^ 'Does Double Your Dating by David DeAngelo help you succeed with women?'
- ^ Edwards, Eric. (April 15, 2005) Orlando Sentinel Dumb approach might be smart. Section: Calendar; Page 54.
- ^ Edwards, Eric. (April 21, 2005) Chicago Tribune Dumb approach may work for smart guys. Section: Tempo; Page 7.
- ^ Read, Genevieve. (September 22, 2004) The Mercury Booking in for the hunt. Section: Local1; Page 22.
- ^ thevarsity.ca
- ^ 'The ultimate mistake men make with women'
- ^ DeAngelo, D. (2004) Attraction Isn't A Choice.
- ^ 'How To Be Cocky And Funny'
- ^ Articles : 77 Laws of success with women and dating
- ^ AskMen.com - Become interesting
- ^ "Double Your Dating". http://www.doubleyourdating.com/. Retrieved on 2008-07-24.
- ^ Books Every Seducer Should Read - SeductionBooks.org